Touch Response Part 2

 

Stone Fingers
Video, 0:46


Quote: 
    “The tiny ridges in our fingertips, whose roughness makes it easier for us to grasp objects, are randomly formed, resulting in the unique swirling weather systems we call "fingerprints." The swirls run through a few basic patterns of whorls, loops, and arches, but combine in endlessly different ways.” (Diane Ackerman, A Natural History of the Senses, 117).

Artist Statement: 
    Hands are used every single day by the humans who possess them. On each hand resides five fingers totaling ten on both. Each of these fingers has intricate designs on the tip that assist in grasping objects, protecting the hands, and increasing our sensitivity to touch. I utilized the ridges on my fingertips to create this video piece titled Stone Fingers where I went around collecting different rocks on campus and Vilano beach. I used this collection of rocks that I gathered with my fingertips to create a formation that resembles the same fingerprint that helped form it. I edited each of these clips together and made sure to keep the ambient background music low as the sound of the rocks clacking together not only is aesthetically pleasing but emphasizes the sounds associated with touching and moving objects with our fingertips.

Comments

Popular Posts